Saturday, March 15, 2003
Well... no Brighton for me this summer... I was a bit sad to find out that but I'm over it now. So Concordia UK isn't running that Brighton project this year, unfortunately :( But I'm thinking about going on some other project instead. Last year I got asked if I'd like to co-ordinate for them next year and now I'm actually considering it. I don't know if I'm crazy or not... <:) Don't know if I'm really a right person to be a co-ordinator but it might be an interesting experience (and it would also look good on my CV) so I'm giving it a thought. For those of you who don't know...
Being a co-ordinator would mean doing stuff like this:
- helping co-ordinate the project by liaising with the host/sponsor.
- working alongside the volunteers on the tasks required by the project and supervising and maintaining motivation.
- taking responsibility for the food/social budget and keeping accounts.
- helping the volunteers organise shopping, cooking and cleaning rotas.
- organising social activities and excursions.
- evaluating the project and providing a written report to Concordia.
So it would definitely mean more work than just being a volunteer but there are some benefits too:
- it's free - food, accommodation and travel expenses are provided and there is no registration fee to pay. (so being a volunteer actually costs a bit more cos then you have to pay the registration fee and your own travel expenses. Mind you, if I decide to co-ordinate in the UK, I'd still have to pay for my flights)
- it's a challenge and an opportunity to build on existing experience and develop new skills.
- training is provided. (well, I wouldn't be able to take part in the training weekend next month cos it would mean travelling to England just for that, but anyway...)
- it's valuable work experience and looks impressive on a CV.
So yeah... you can now decide if I'm crazy or not :D But if I do end up going to England this summer, I'd like to take part in two projects again but can't afford to be a volunteer on both of them. It's not that the travel expenses would be too much but it's the stupid registration fee ( 115€ ) ... can't afford to pay it twice again :( So that's why I'm considering to co-ordinate one of the projects... But it's still just a thought, I haven't been able to make up my mind yet.
Being a co-ordinator would mean doing stuff like this:
- helping co-ordinate the project by liaising with the host/sponsor.
- working alongside the volunteers on the tasks required by the project and supervising and maintaining motivation.
- taking responsibility for the food/social budget and keeping accounts.
- helping the volunteers organise shopping, cooking and cleaning rotas.
- organising social activities and excursions.
- evaluating the project and providing a written report to Concordia.
So it would definitely mean more work than just being a volunteer but there are some benefits too:
- it's free - food, accommodation and travel expenses are provided and there is no registration fee to pay. (so being a volunteer actually costs a bit more cos then you have to pay the registration fee and your own travel expenses. Mind you, if I decide to co-ordinate in the UK, I'd still have to pay for my flights)
- it's a challenge and an opportunity to build on existing experience and develop new skills.
- training is provided. (well, I wouldn't be able to take part in the training weekend next month cos it would mean travelling to England just for that, but anyway...)
- it's valuable work experience and looks impressive on a CV.
So yeah... you can now decide if I'm crazy or not :D But if I do end up going to England this summer, I'd like to take part in two projects again but can't afford to be a volunteer on both of them. It's not that the travel expenses would be too much but it's the stupid registration fee ( 115€ ) ... can't afford to pay it twice again :( So that's why I'm considering to co-ordinate one of the projects... But it's still just a thought, I haven't been able to make up my mind yet.
Comments:
Post a Comment