Tuesday, September 12, 2006
I am back from Lapland, having spent most of my summer there. It was a brilliant experience and I met so many lovely people there and made great new friends :) I wouldn't change a thing about this summer, it was one of the best I've ever had :) The world championships of goldpanning were also a great event and there were people from all over the world taking part. It was so much fun!
The only thing I regret is the way my employment there ended. I have never seen such drama in any workplace of mine yet, and this time I mean by the management, not the employees. The group of employess was the best we could have had, we had such a great atmosphere and it made up for the lack of good leadership and for the organisational problems.
I worked so hard during the whole summer, sometimes without pay, sometimes without food, not enough breaks and sometimes without lunch... overtime was not paid even though we had to work overtime every day... I was such a good employee for them and how did they repay me for that? By breaking my trust and completely offending me after my last day at work. I left without saying anything, I got nothing, no thanks for your good work over the summer, no wishes for a good future, no nothing.
This is how it all happened:
I left from Lapland on the 16th of August which was a Wednesday. I had many problems with my boss from Sunday evening onwards and it's unbelievable because I never did anything wrong. All I happened to do was to walk into the restaurant at the wrong moment and my boss was tired and upset after working a lot during the week and she took it all out on me. I could not believe my ears and the situation was so unbelievable that I didn't find any words to say to that, I just walked away shaken by the bad words and it took me half a day to recover, it made me so sad and upset. For me it was unbelievable how any person could act like that towards someone else, let alone a boss towards an employee who has done nothing wrong, it's never happened to me before.
All the problems started on Sunday when my boss said to me, how can you leave us in trouble by leaving, what are we supposed to do now, I have no employee to take your place etc. We had agreed two weeks earlier that I could leave on the 16th which was a little earlier that originally planned. Being nice, I even offered to work two extra days but it wasn't good enough for them so they said no. Then all of a sudden she said to me all those things and what am I meant to do, it was agreed a long time ago and it's not my fault they didn't use the time to seach for someone else.. I thought everything would have calmed down a little bit by the next day but abviously they hadn't. My boss was angry at me for spending my own free time on Sunday evening in the opera house even though it's none of their business what I do in my free time. Sunday was the final day of the world championship games and EVERYONE who was still there, took part in the farewell evening, myself included. So I don't see how they can get upset about me being there too, just being, not even doing anything. I could maybe understand it if I had been drunk, loud or caused some sort of trouble. But I hadn't done any of those things. So basically my crime was that I happened to be there too with everyone else. How unbelievable. Then from Monday to Wednesday I kept a low profile and didn't step a foot in the restaurant so I wouldn't see my boss. On Wednesday when I finally saw her because I needed to give away my key, I just gave it to her and that was it. I didn't get an apology for her acting that way or even a thanks for all the work I had done for them during the summer, no farewell wishes, nothing. I even left all the paperwork for later so now I had to do it by email later. It's crazy how a few moments and bad words said out loud can change everything and my employment finished the way it did, also finishing off my summer in Lapland that way. It makes me so sad to think about it but I shouldn't let it affect me, I know I didn't do anything wrong. But I cannot help but let it affect me, it's the way I am and always have been.
But I have no regrets about my summer in Lapland and I am even glad that I happened to find my way to work there for the summer cos like I said, all my great co-workers and the atmosphere we had makes up for the lack of good leadership and organisational problems there. And I am so glad I had a chance to experience the world championships, it was so much fun and all the happy memories will stay with me for a long time to come :)
The only thing I regret is the way my employment there ended. I have never seen such drama in any workplace of mine yet, and this time I mean by the management, not the employees. The group of employess was the best we could have had, we had such a great atmosphere and it made up for the lack of good leadership and for the organisational problems.
I worked so hard during the whole summer, sometimes without pay, sometimes without food, not enough breaks and sometimes without lunch... overtime was not paid even though we had to work overtime every day... I was such a good employee for them and how did they repay me for that? By breaking my trust and completely offending me after my last day at work. I left without saying anything, I got nothing, no thanks for your good work over the summer, no wishes for a good future, no nothing.
This is how it all happened:
I left from Lapland on the 16th of August which was a Wednesday. I had many problems with my boss from Sunday evening onwards and it's unbelievable because I never did anything wrong. All I happened to do was to walk into the restaurant at the wrong moment and my boss was tired and upset after working a lot during the week and she took it all out on me. I could not believe my ears and the situation was so unbelievable that I didn't find any words to say to that, I just walked away shaken by the bad words and it took me half a day to recover, it made me so sad and upset. For me it was unbelievable how any person could act like that towards someone else, let alone a boss towards an employee who has done nothing wrong, it's never happened to me before.
All the problems started on Sunday when my boss said to me, how can you leave us in trouble by leaving, what are we supposed to do now, I have no employee to take your place etc. We had agreed two weeks earlier that I could leave on the 16th which was a little earlier that originally planned. Being nice, I even offered to work two extra days but it wasn't good enough for them so they said no. Then all of a sudden she said to me all those things and what am I meant to do, it was agreed a long time ago and it's not my fault they didn't use the time to seach for someone else.. I thought everything would have calmed down a little bit by the next day but abviously they hadn't. My boss was angry at me for spending my own free time on Sunday evening in the opera house even though it's none of their business what I do in my free time. Sunday was the final day of the world championship games and EVERYONE who was still there, took part in the farewell evening, myself included. So I don't see how they can get upset about me being there too, just being, not even doing anything. I could maybe understand it if I had been drunk, loud or caused some sort of trouble. But I hadn't done any of those things. So basically my crime was that I happened to be there too with everyone else. How unbelievable. Then from Monday to Wednesday I kept a low profile and didn't step a foot in the restaurant so I wouldn't see my boss. On Wednesday when I finally saw her because I needed to give away my key, I just gave it to her and that was it. I didn't get an apology for her acting that way or even a thanks for all the work I had done for them during the summer, no farewell wishes, nothing. I even left all the paperwork for later so now I had to do it by email later. It's crazy how a few moments and bad words said out loud can change everything and my employment finished the way it did, also finishing off my summer in Lapland that way. It makes me so sad to think about it but I shouldn't let it affect me, I know I didn't do anything wrong. But I cannot help but let it affect me, it's the way I am and always have been.
But I have no regrets about my summer in Lapland and I am even glad that I happened to find my way to work there for the summer cos like I said, all my great co-workers and the atmosphere we had makes up for the lack of good leadership and organisational problems there. And I am so glad I had a chance to experience the world championships, it was so much fun and all the happy memories will stay with me for a long time to come :)
Comments:
Post a Comment